The LLLI External Relations and Advocacy Department
Helping to Establish a Proactive Global Presence for Breastfeeding around the World
The LLLI External Relations and Advocacy Department participates in many worthwhile activities around the world. Read about them here!
World Breastfeeding Week 2009 - Breastfeeding: A Vital Emergency Response
In conjunction with the Olympics next August, WBW 2008 calls for greater support for mothers in achieving the gold standard of infant feeding: breastfeeding exclusively for six months, and providing appropriate complementary foods with continued breastfeeding for up to two years or beyond. To view a PDF of the 2008 WBW Action Folder, click here . For more information on World Breastfeeding Week, go to the WABA website
LLLI has developed six articles that emphasize the need for mother support and demonstrate how LLL is uniquely qualified to provide that support. La Leche League reaches out to women everywhere—educating, enriching and empowering them to successfully breastfeed their babies. To read the articles click here.
- Breastfeeding Advocacy in the USA
- World Breastfeeding Week Celebrations in the USA
- The Global Initiative for Mother Support - GIMS for Breastfeeding aims to create the appropriate environment of awareness and support for a mother to initiate and sustain breastfeeding.
Documents and Statements
- World Health Day 2009 - Save Lives - Make Hospitals Safe in Emergencies.
- World Health Day 2008 - Protecting Health from Climate Change. - Français - Espanol
- 52nd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) - February 2008. Financing for gender equality and the empowerment of women.
- World Health Day 2007 - Invest in Breastfeeding - Español - Português
- One Day to Change the World: LLL Leaders Make a Difference
- World Health Day 2006 - Making Every Mother and Child Count
- 58th World Health Assembly Statement by La Leche League International (June 2005)
- 2005 Progress Report on Breastfeeding: Ten Years after Beijing - a Statement for the 49th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women (February-March 2005)
- LLLI representation at WABA HIV and Infant Feeding Meeting (February 2004)
- LLLI attends the 113th Session of the WHO Executive Board (January 2004)
- LLLI attends the Technical Consultation on the Global Strategy for Infant and Young Child Feeding, in Geneva, Switzerland (February 2003)
- Reports on the Global Issues-Taking Action Sessions: Read summaries of advocacy sessions from the 2003 LLLI Conference
- LLLI attends the HIV and Breastfeeding Colloquim and the WABA Global Forum 2 (September 2002)
- LLLI attends the 27th Special Session of the General Assembly on Children (May 2002)
- LLLI attends the 55th WHO World Health Assembly (May 2002)
- LLLI attends the Annual CORE Group Spring Membership Meeting (April 2002)
- LLLI attends the 46th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (March 2002)
- LLLI attends the World Health Organization 109th Executive Board Session (January 2002)
- LLLI Attends the Beijing Conference on Women (October, 1995)
- Statement submitted by LLLI to the Beijing Women's Conference in 1995
- A note from the LLLI delegates to the women's conference in China, 1995
- Work with the Global Hispanic Community including Spanish speaking LLL Leaders and Groups.
- Seek out and act upon potential opportunities for networking.
- Secure funding for breastfeeding and Mother to Mother support activities.
- Disseminate information on LLLI programs and services.
- Serve as a resource and support for LLLI staff in relation to Spanish issues.
- Develop and implement activities that benefit LLLI and target the Hispanic population in the USA and in Latin America.