Thinking About LLL Leadership?
- Isolated Members
- Pre-application Dialogue for Isolated Members
- Isolated Applicants: Leadership Preparation
If there is no La Leche League Group near you, and no local Leader with whom you can discuss leadership, then we refer to your situation as being “isolated.”
- You will need to make contact with an active LLL Leader in order to have pre-application dialogue.
- Find your nearest Group by contacting LLL where you live or using the Find a La Leche League Leader online directory.
- If your nearest Group is too far away for you to attend meetings regularly, perhaps you can arrange to borrow books from their Group Library, or attend a few meetings so that you become familiar with how LLL meetings are organised.
- Attend Series Meetings if at all possible, perhaps when visiting friends or family where a La Leche League Group exists. Talk to the Group Leader. Ask her any questions you may have.
- Attend online meetings.
- If there is no Group where you are, you can contact the Leader Accreditation Department (LAD) on the LLLI Web site, or by postal mail. A Director will refer you to a LAD representative who can help you.
Pre-application Dialogue for Isolated Members
- Find out as much as you can about LLL philosophy and about what LLL leadership entails. Reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is an excellent introduction to LLL and LLL philosophy. Also read TaLLL Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and TaLLL LLLI Philosophy.
- If there is no LLL Group or Leader near you, contact the Leader Accreditation Department (LAD) to help you find a Leader or LAD representative to conduct pre-application dialogue. They will help guide you through pre-application dialogue.
- If you wish to apply for leadership, you will need the support of an active Leader (i.e. a Leader who is currently active in fulfilling Leader responsibilities). This supporting Leader will submit a Leader Recommendation form to the Coordinator of Leader Accreditation (CLA).
Isolated Applicants: Leadership Preparation
- Although there is not a Group in your town, perhaps you can make contact with a nearby LLL Group and Leader in order to discuss your situation with her.
- Even though you live too far away to attend Group meetings, you might be able to connect with a Leader, who can talk with you via email, email chats, or tapes. You may already know an interested supporting Leader, or we may be able to help you find one.
- If this is not possible, your Leader Accreditation Department (LAD) representative can cover all aspects of leadership preparation with you.
- There is a great deal that you can do on your own and with the support of a LAD representative. Your LAD representative can help you design your application to suit you, your learning preferences, and your individual circumstances.
- Attend LLL workshops/study days/ conferences whenever possible.
- Make use of online resources.
- Your LAD representative can help you identify application exercises and articles which are especially relevant to isolated Applicants.
If there is no Group where you are, you can contact the Directors of the La Leche League International Leader Accreditation Department, who will refer you to a LAD representative who can help you.
If you go on to become a Leader, you will be supporting mothers in areas where LLL does not currently exist.
Thank you for thinking about LLL leadership!