Can a Conference Scholarship Make Your Dream Come True?
LLLI Deputy Director
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
From: LEAVEN, Vol. 38 No. 4, August-September 2002 p. 90.
Do San Francisco and the 2003 LLLI Conference seem far away in time and miles? Dreams can come true. Start putting feet beneath your dreams and fill out a scholarship application.
“Strength Through Diversity: Creating One Breastfeeding World” is the 2003 LLLI Conference theme. One way the Conference Team works to fulfill the theme and the Conference principles is through the Scholarship committee. Three of these principles are particularly important to the Scholarship committee:
• Endeavors to include
attendance of members of the LLLI community from each country where
LLL has a presence;
• Reaches out and welcomes; strives to eliminate cultural, social, and economic barriers to participation;
• Is financially accessible to as many people as possible.
The 2003 Conference Team has set aside $10,000 in the Conference budget to waive registration fees for scholarship recipients. The task of the Scholarship Committee is to distribute these scholarships.
2003 LLLI Conference Scholarship Application
1. What was the date of your accredi tation?
2. In which LLL Group/Area/ Division/Affiliate do you work? Please include all positions that you fill for LLL.
3. Might you be receiving any funding from other LLL sources—Group, Chapter, Area, Division, or Affiliate? If so, in what amount?
4. If possible, please include a recom mendation completed by another Leader familiar with your La Leche League work.
5. Have you ever attended an LLLI Conference? Answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.
6. How will this scholarship help you to attend the Conference?
7. Outline your total budget for attend ing the Conference. How do you plan to obtain the remainder of your funding?
8. How do you plan to share your Conference experiences and learn ing once you return home?
9. How will attending the Conference help you further the mission and purpose of LLL?
Applications can also be completed and sent via the LLLI Web site (go to the Conference pages).
Strength through diversity is reflected in the Scholarship Committee members. The committee is made up of seven members from the 2001 Scholarship Committee, two new members, and eight 2001 Conference scholarship recipients (see sidebar).
Members of the 2003 Scholarship Committee
The 2003 LLLI Conference
Scholarships are open to all Leaders actively working to fulfil LLLs
mission and purpose, whether actively leading Groups or through administrative
positions. Preference will be given to those who are hoping to attend
their first LLLI Conference. Although previous Conference scholarship
recipients are not eligible, previous scholarship applicants are encouraged
to apply. Cable Car Registration will be waived for scholarship recipients.
One new Leader accredited since the 2001 Conference and one long-term
Leader accredited before July 1993 will receive the Golden Gate Registration.
Leaders who would like to apply for a 2003 LLLI Conference Scholarship need to respond to the application points in the side bar. While it is preferred that the application be typed, handwritten applications will be accepted. The Scholarship Committee would very much appreciate applications sent by email if at all possible. This will facilitate our work in sharing the applications among the Committee members. Otherwise, typed or handwritten applications will be accepted. The Scholarship Committee also asks that, when possible, the application for a scholarship include a recommendation of your La Leche League work completed by another Leader. If there is no accompanying recommendation, the Scholarship Committee may ask for more information or a recommendation before awarding a scholarship.
Scholarship applications can be sent to Shirley Phillips, LLLI Deputy Director at: Sphillips at llli.org (email); mailed to 85 Ferndale Ave., Winnipeg, MB, Canada, R2H 1T9; or faxed to (204) 235-1685. Applications can also be completed and sent via the LLLI Web site (go to the Conference pages). All applications must be received by midnight, October 31, 2002. Scholarships will be awarded, and all applicants notified of the results, by December 15, 2002.
Do San Francisco and the 2003 LLLI Conference seem far away in time and miles? As previous scholarship recipients attest (see Leaven February-March 2002), dreams can come true. Start putting feet beneath your dreams and fill out a scholarship application. We're waiting and eagerly look forward to hearing from you!