Ten Ways to Save $12 a Week
by Mary Hurt
LLLI Public Relations Associate
From: NEW BEGINNINGS, Vol. 21 No. 2, March-April 2004, p. 49
You might be wondering about the significance of saving $12 a week. The LLLI Conference, Breastfeeding: Ancient Art -- Modern Miracle, is about 18 months away. If you save $12 every week until the Conference, there will be more than money enough to pay for Conference registration, hotel, food, and transportation from many areas. It’s also a good start for those who live farther away from Washington DC, USA.
Plan to attend the LLLI Conference on July 2-5, 2005 at the Washington Hilton in Washington DC, USA. You will hear cutting-edge information at sessions presented by world-renowned speakers, network with parents and professionals from almost every corner of the globe, and spend three informative days in a breastfeeding world. It’s easy, if you begin saving today. Here are some tips:
- Have a family "make-your-own pizza night" instead of ordering pizza from a restaurant.
- Be aware of hidden late fees. Pay bills on time and you will be paying yourself $90 or more a month instead of paying late fees to utility companies.
- Hold the drinks when you get a fast food meal or eat in a restaurant. By drinking only water, you save $6 to $12 or more.
- Plan a picnic instead of going to a restaurant.
- Write your shopping list before going to the store and stick with it. Know which items are on sale, compare unit prices, and clip coupons. Most smart shoppers save well over $12 a week.
- If you or your husband work, bring lunch from home instead of buying every day.
- Rent a movie from your local public library instead of going to the movie theater. Most libraries have low cost or free movie rentals.
- Put $12.50 in your pocket by going vegetarian one day a week.
- Have a soup and bread night for dinner. You can try different ethnic chowders for variety and have a fun learning experience.
- Decide how much money to spend in the grocery store ahead of time, and then don’t go beyond your limit.