- Put baby to the breast to nurse as soon as possible.
- Hold baby skin-to-skin
- Avoid pacifiers
- Correct positioning and latch on are very important for preventing sore nipples.
- Break suction before taking baby off the breast.
- Offer the least sore breast first.
- Use only plain water for washing.
- Gently apply your own milk, ultra pure modified lanolin, or hydrogel pads to speed healing.
- Check with a La Leche League Leader for help.
Baby may nurse more often at times to build milk supply.
Trying other positions may help latch.