Legacy Society…. Gifts for the Future
“When I first learned about the newly developed Legacy Society, I thought, what a great idea! Then I thought, this is probably just for wealthy people. Millionaires. Not me.
A few weeks later I read about it again, and I talked to my husband about the possibility of leaving some of my money to LLLI. I feel like I owe LLLI so much. This organization changed my life, and helped me grow into the kind of mother I wanted to be. No other organization has touched my heart, and my family, like La Leche League. My husband agreed. Why not me?
I am excited to be one of the first fifty people to join the Legacy Society. I was assured that any amount of money would be welcomed. I like to think that my children will carry on the LLL philosophy, my personal mothering legacy. LLLI will continue to carry mother to mother support forward for future generations. It feels like the right thing to do. Even for me.”
Ann Calandro, LLL Leader, Past Chair of the Board
Like Ann, you may want to create a legacy beyond your lifetime. The La Leche League International Legacy Society ensures donors that their charitable dollars are used in the way they intended. If you have made arrangements in your will, trust, or another deferred gift mechanism to make a contribution to La Leche League International you are already eligible to be a member of the Legacy Society.
How does the La Leche League International Legacy Society work?
- Establish – Donors can include a gift to La Leche League International in their will or trust, establishing a bequest.
- Notify – Donors notify La Leche League International of their plans and automatically become members of the Legacy Society.
- Join – Donors join the network of other Legacy Society members and receive special recognition.
What are the benefits of joining the La Leche League International Legacy Society?
Being a member of the La Leche League International Legacy Society gives you the opportunity to belong to a select group of like-minded people who are committed to supporting the needs of breastfeeding mothers.
And by letting us know now – you will be one of the 50 members of the Founders’ Circle of the Legacy Society. Tell us you have or are planning to including La Leche League International in your estate planning. If you desire, we will recognize you in upcoming newsletters and send you a commemorative pin to mark this commitment.
These gifts can take the form of bequests by naming La Leche League International not only in a will or trust (through a specific, residual or contingent request), but also in a charitable remainder trust, gift annuity, gifts of life insurance, or any other type of charitable planned gift.
A bequest is easy to arrange:
- It is not payable until death, so it does not affect your assets or cash flow during your lifetime.
- It is private – your will is not filed or made public until your death
- It is revocable – you can change the provisions in your will or trust at any time until death.
A charitable bequest or trust distribution is deductible for federal estate tax purposes, and there is no limit on the deduction your estate can claim. In addition, the gift is usually exempt from state inheritance taxes.
Ways to Make a Bequest:
Your bequest can deliver a specific dollar amount, asset, or percentage of your estate:
“I bequeath to La Leche League International, 110 Horizon Dr., Ste. 210, Raleigh, NC 27615, the sum of Ten Thousand ($10,000) Dollars to be used in support of La Leche League International programs.”
Alternately, you can give all or a percentage of the balance remaining in your estate after expenses, taxes, and the specific bequests have been paid:
“Of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate I give Twenty-Five (25%) Percent to La Leche League International, 110 Horizon Dr., Ste. 210, Raleigh, NC 27615, for its general purposes.”
Finally, your bequest can be payable to LLLI if the initial beneficiary is unable to inherit it:
“If my nephew does not survive me, is otherwise unable to inherit, or disclaims this bequest, I direct that it be paid to La Leche League International, 110 Horizon Dr., Ste. 210, Raleigh, NC 27615, for its general purposes.”
Charitable Remainder Trusts offer you a way to give a major gift to LLLI, while providing you with income payments for life or for a fixed period of time.
The amount of income paid out each year during the life of the trust depends on whether it is a charitable remainder annuity trust or a charitable remainder unitrust.
Charitable Remainder Annuity Trusts provide a fixed dollar amount with each payment to the beneficiary. This amount corresponds to a percentage of the original investment paid out annually.
Charitable Remainder Unitrusts provides a fixed percentage of the fair market value of the trust assets, as determined each year.
A charitable gift annuity enables you to transfer cash, securities, or other assets to LLLI. In exchange, you receive fixed payments for life and an income tax deduction. Annuity payments can begin immediately or can be deferred to some future date.
A gift of life insurance is a convenient way to leave a gift that supports the work of LLLI. The different giving opportunities that are available with life insurance are:
- Purchase a life insurance policy and name LLLI as the beneficiary and “owner.” You pay the annual premium, which you can deduct from your income tax as a charitable gift. On your death, LLLI receives the life insurance benefit free of any taxes.
- Gift an existing policy to LLLI. If you have a life insurance policy that you no longer need, consider giving it to LLLI. You may receive an income tax deduction in the year of the gift, as well as for future premiums that you pay.
- Name LLLI as beneficiary on your policy for either all or a portion of the death benefit. You will still own the policy and continue to have access to any cash value. Although this approach may not provide a federal income tax deduction in the current year, your estate may receive an estate tax reduction for the amount of the death benefit that you bequeath to LLLI.
La Leche League International urges all prospective donors to seek the assistance of their personal legal and financial advisors in matters relating to their gifts, including the resultant tax and estate planning outcomes.
Please contact Lisa Mead, Development Director at email@example.com for additional information or to have a conversation about your planned giving.
To view the LLLI gift acceptance policy please click here.