TITLE: LLLI Media Relations Coordinator
REPORTS TO: LLLI Executive Director
OVERVIEW: Respond to requests from media journalists in print, radio, internet, or television mediums for information about La Leche League or breastfeeding, representing La Leche League International as a media spokesperson.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Research topics of inquiry before communicating with journalists, particularly when in response to a breastfeeding controversy in the news, to ensure that accurate and up-to-date information is conveyed.
- Develop press releases as needed or requested and provide input to the LLLI Executive Director and Board of Directors on public relations issues.
- Coordinate medical issues with the Professional Liaison Communications Coordinator.
- Watch media closely to stay aware of emerging breastfeeding stories.
- Watch breastfeeding research closely in order to respond to stories about the latest studies.
- Track and report monthly to LLLI Executive Director the number and nature of media inquiries received and the stories to which a response has been provided.
- Keep all correspondence with LLLI staff and Board confidential.
- Work remotely as an independent contractor using own means and equipment.
- Must have media training and experience.
- Must possess the depth of both institutional and technical knowledge to address the wide variety of media inquiries received.
- Must possess finesse, diplomacy, and insights about media strategies, journalistic ploys, and potential pitfalls in order to ensure that LLL image and reputation are protected and breastfeeding information is conveyed positively and accurately.
- Must be available and able to respond rapidly to inquiries.
COMPENSATION: Monthly Stipend
To be considered, submit your resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications and ability to meet the position requirements outlined above. Samples of previous work will also be appreciated. Applications must be submitted by email to email@example.com by 24:00 Eastern on 31 July 2018 with “Application – Media Relations Coordinator” in the subject line.