Request for Proposal
Managing Editor, Breastfeeding Today
This request for proposal (RFP) invites proposals from qualified and interested individuals to provide writing, editing, proofreading, and production consultation services to La Leche League International (LLLI) for its bi-monthly online publication Breastfeeding Today.
Established in 2010, Breastfeeding Today is an online publication of La Leche League International (LLLI) containing inspiring stories, helpful information, organizational news, and reviews for expectant parents, breastfeeding moms, families, and supporters at all stages of the parenting journey. Breastfeeding Today is published a minimum of six times per year.
Managing Editor Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop content guidelines that are in compliance with the LLLI mission, philosophy, and LLLI Style Guide.
- Develop annual editorial calendar in consultation with other LLLI Managing Editors, the LLLI Editorial Review Board, and LLLI staff.
- Identify and contact authors for articles and arrange for copyright and translation permissions.
- Develop production schedules in consultation with LLLI staff and meet pre-set deadlines.
- Ensure authors are given a schedule at the time they commit to writing.
- Write, edit, proofread, and revise content as needed to improve readability and detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Confer with authors regarding changes as needed.
- Manage translation of articles into multiple languages.
- Provide content of each issue to LLLI staff in plain text for formatting and website production.
- Collaborate with LLLI staff to identify appropriate images for each article.
- Collaborate with LLLI staff to identify social media content for each issue for posting by LLLI staff.
- Collaborate with LLLI staff to conduct periodic readers’ surveys and implement changes based on their results.
- Respond to email in a timely manner.
- Keep all correspondence with LLLI Board, Editorial Review Board, and staff confidential.
- Work remotely as an independent contractor using own means and equipment.
Proposal Submission Requirements
To be considered, applicants are required to demonstrate in their proposals that they are qualified and able to satisfy the above criteria and also include:
- Description of past editorial history
- Ability to provide a high level of responsive service to LLLI
- Approach and methodology for meeting the writing, editing, proofreading, and production consultation service requirements of LLLI
- Three references
- Detailed pricing
Proposals must be submitted by email to email@example.com by 24:00 Eastern on 31 July 2018 with “Proposal – Managing Editor, Breastfeeding Today” in the subject line.
Inquiries concerning any aspect of this RFP can be directed to:
La Leche League International
LLLI retains complete discretion in deciding which proposals meet the requirements set out in the RFP and what evidence will be considered adequate to indicate compliance with those requirements. In addition, LLLI reserves the right in its sole discretion to:
- Withdraw the RFP at any time;
- Not enter into negotiations with any applicant who submits a proposal; and
- Request, in writing or orally, clarification of any additional information concerning proposals.
LLLI reserves the right to reject any or all proposals or to accept any proposal at its discretion.
LLLI reserves the right to request a phone interview with applicants.
The selected applicant will be notified in writing.
LLLI will enter into negotiations with the successful candidate with a view to finalizing a contract for services on terms acceptable to LLLI. The contract will be for a period of one year with an option to renew for an additional year. LLLI reserves the right to cancel the contract if the service does not meet the expectations of LLLI and a 30-day advance notice will be sent.
If an agreement acceptable to LLLI is not reached within 30 days after selection of the successful proposal, LLLI may disqualify that proposal and re-evaluate the remaining proposals without obligation or claim against LLLI.
The issuance of this RFP and the receipt by LLLI of any proposal shall not, in any manner, obligate LLLI to perform any act, incur any liabilities, or reimburse or compensate any applicant for preparation costs or other losses incurred in the preparation of their response to this RFP. LLLI will have the right to use, for any purpose, any information submitted in connection with the RFP unless it has been marked Confidential.